Friday, February 18, 2011

To Life!

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” Lao Tzu

On New Year’s Day, 1/1/11, I returned from a glorious two week vacation in France. While in Paris and Strasbourg, I guiltlessly indulged in any French culinary delight I desired. Every morning we shopped open markets choosing from fresh fruit and vegetables. After filling our baskets with brightly colored tangerines, apples, bananas, beans, and carrots, we strolled through meat markets and patisseries adding baguettes, almond croissants, and cheeses to our bulging cloth bags. Our delicious dinners ended with banana-Nutella crepes, fruit tarts, or an assortment of French chocolates. I did not count calories or carbs, and never saw a “low fat” or “light” food the entire trip, after all I was on my dream vacation.  

I boarded the plane in Paris re-energized and happy to face whatever number my bathroom scale rudely choose to announce. After a couple days of reacclimating to life at home, I gathered up the courage to check my weight. I held my breath and my amazement found that I had lost several pounds. I then realized that my clothes were fit better and I didn’t have the nagging muscle kink in my lower back. I had all the benefits of dieting and working out without the even trying. 

I have vacationed in France twice (my first time in 1999) and both times I returned a healthier, happier hedonist. This trip I reached a goal that had eluded me for five years without the pain and sacrifice I had grown to believe was necessary. This I liked.

With mid-life vengeance, I am now devoted to recreating this “joie de vivre” experience in my everyday life. Until I am able to move to France, I will create a simpler, healthier life here, where I am, with calmer days, better tasting food, more movement and less stuff.
 
I am approaching my new life style as an adventure, a trial-and-error, try-something-new journey. I may not have a map, but I do have an idea, a climbing partner, and several guide books to lead the way. I am using this electronic journal for motivation as I record my excursions and track my progress. 

First, I’ll be reviewing the advice in self-improvement books, comparing and contrasting recommendations from American and Mediterranean perspectives, trying new recipes, eliminating foods, changing habits, and reveling in the time spent doing what I enjoy. 

I am beginning with the guide book “The French Don’t Diet Plan” by Dr. Will Clower.

No comments:

Post a Comment